Active Threat Response
The safety and well-being of our campus is a top priority. The following are recommended responses to on-going and immediate life-threatening incidents involving hostile suspects.
- An individual must use his/her own discretion about when he/she must engage a hostile suspect for survival.
- Do not attempt to apprehend or interfere with the suspect except for self-protection.
- Contact authorities as soon as it is safe to do so. Call 911; or Campus Police at 814-269-7005. Have this number programmed into your cell phone.
- Report what is occurring, include the number of suspects, the location of the suspect(s), race, gender, physical features, clothing description, type of weapon(s), suspects' identity (if known).
- Report the number of injured if known and the types of injuries.
- Make the determination of whether to run, hide, or fight AND COMMIT TO IT.
- RUN, if there is an escape path, attempt to evacuate
- Evacuate whether others agree to or not
- Leave belongings behind
- Help others escape if possible
- Prevent others from entering area
- HIDE, if evacuation is not possible, find a place to hide
- Lock and/or blockade the door
- Silence your cell phone
- Hide behind large objects
- Remain very quiet
- Hiding place: should be out of suspects' view, should provide protection from shots fired in your direction, and should not trap or restrict your options for movement
- FIGHT, as a last resort and only if your life is in danger
- Attempt to incapacitate the suspects
- Act with physical aggression
- Improvise weapons
- Commit to your actions
When Law Enforcement Arrives
- Remember that the police will act first to neutralize the threat
- Remain calm and follow instructions
- Keep hands visible at all times
- Avoid pointing or yelling
- Know that help for the injured is on the way