Visitors to the Pitt-Johnstown campus are immediately struck by the building architecture and lush, natural setting that creates Pitt-Johnstown’s distinctiveness.
When the campus opened in 1967, it was composed of six buildings constructed at a total cost of $8 million (to put things into perspective, the 26,000-sqaure-foot Nursing and Health Sciences, which opened in 2013, was built at a cost of $12 million). Dwight David Eisenhower, 34th President of the United States, presided over the dedication ceremony on September 26, 1967.
Today, the campus has grown to include 36 buildings (encompassing more than one million square-feet). The campus is situated on 655 acres.
As the campus expanded, great efforts were employed to ensure that all new facilities maintained the theme of the cut limestone facades. So, today, the Nursing and Health Sciences Building features the same cut stone façade and peaked roofs as Biddle Hall, which opened in 1927 (then, as South Hall). During the past several years, more than $37 million was invested in new construction projects and upgrades to existing facilities.
Most noticeable were the renovations to Biddle and Krebs Hall, which underwent the first significant interior renovation since they were opened more than 40 years ago.